Cherry-Vanilla Layer Cake Recipe
Ingredients you would need
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 tablespoons flour for sprinkling over diced cherries
- 10 oz bottle maraschino cherries, finely chopped
- 4 egg whites, beaten to stiff peaks
The Preparation Method:
- Your oven has to be preheated 340 degrees.
- Grease one 9” spring-form pans and line with parchment paper. Two 7″ might work as well.
- Beat the butter and sugar together in the bowl of a stand mixer until they get creamy.
- Take another bowl and whisk salt, flour, and baking powder together . Add milk with cherry juice & almond extract, and add it to the first bowl (with butter and sugar with the flour mixture).
- In a small bowl, sprinkle the 2 tablespoons of flour over the diced cherries and stir until the flour has been completely absorbed. Don’t worry if the cherries have a little juice on them after this.
- Stir cherries into the batter.
- Fold stiffly beaten egg whites into the batter. Pour into prepared cake pans and bake for about an hour.
- Remove from pan and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
Vanilla Swiss Meringue Buttercream Frosting.
Ingridients you would need:
- 5 egg whites
- 3 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter, cubed, at room temperature
- Pinch of salt
The Preparation Method:
- Set a saucepan filled one-third full of water over medium-high heat and bring to a simmer.
- Whisk together the egg whites, sugar, and salt in a large heatproof bowl. Set over the simmering water and whisk until the mixture is hot to the touch and the sugar has dissolved.
- Transfer the mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.
- Beat on low speed for 2 minutes. Increase to medium-high until stiff peaks are formed.
- Continue beating at medium-high speed until the mixture is fluffy and has cooled (the mixing bowl should feel cool to the touch).
- Turn the mixer off and switch from the whisk attachment to the paddle. Turn the mixer on medium-low and add the butter, a few cubes at a time, beating until well incorporated before the next addition.
- Add the vanilla extract. Divide batter and tint with food coloring, if desired. I kept a little un-tinted frosting out to pipe around the edges of the cake. To achieve my favoriteblue/green tint, I used a dot each of Sky Blue and Kelly Green Wilton gel food colorings.
- Beat until the frosting is thick and completely smooth.
- Store in an airtight container until ready for use.